Sunday, March 4, 2012

Tasting - St. Francis Merlot with the Hill Family

Name: St. Francis Merlot
Variety: 85% Merlot, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon, 3% Malbec and 2% Petite Verdot
Region: Sonoma County, CA
Country: USA
Year: 2007
Price: $15.99

Winery Review: Characteristic cherry and chocolate light up the palate of this classic Sonoma County Merlot. Flavors of coffee and luscious plum in the mid palate solidify its structure and give it depth, while its round, generous tannins deliver a bold, lengthy finish
.
My Review: A nice dark color for a red but what I would expect from a merlot. While giving it a swirl I could see a lot of legs so I was not aurprised it is not a thin wine. Had a very strong fruity aroma. Ended up being a smooth beginning but quite dry in the aftertaste. There was some kick in the mid pallet and had my mouth pucker a bit which surprised me for a red wine. Would love to have had this with some red meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment